FORT WORTH, Texas (WWJ) — RadioShack says it’s returning to Detroit with the opening of the first Detroit-area store to follow the company’s new concept and design.
The store opened Tuesday morning at the Gateway Marketplace, 1347 W. Eight Mile Road.
RadioShack has deep roots in Detroit, opening its first store more than 44 years ago in 1969.
The company says its new concept stores feature an upgraded shopping experience. New features include:
* A speaker wall where customers can shop and compare 13 different speakers using music installed on in-store tablets or played from their own Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices;
* Interactive displays that enable shoppers to find and compare products, including headphone demo stations where they can listen to leading brands like Sol Republic, Skullcandy and Beats by Dr. Dre; a remote control toy exploration center; and a GoPro camera display demonstrating the capabilities of several models of GoPro cameras;
* Technology that makes shopping interesting and playful, like touchscreens and apps that help shoppers understand the benefits of products;
* Newly configured displays highlighting in-demand brands like Apple, HTC and Samsung, as well as mobile carriers such as AT&T, Sprint and Verizon;
* Helpful, informative RadioShack staff who can answer shoppers’ questions about hundreds of products and services, and direct customers to the items that meet their specific needs; and
* A Do-It-Yourself area where consumers can plan projects.
RadioShack is opening a select number of these stores in neighborhoods throughout the nation. The Detroit location is the eighth concept store to open since the company began converting to the new format this summer. These new stores reflect the company’s strides towards reinvigorating its stores, revamping its product assortment and repositioning the brand. By the end of 2013, RadioShack will have more than 100 concept and brand statement stores open and will have made improvements to nearly all 4,300 stores throughout the nation.
Those visiting the new store can receive a coupon good for $10 off any $40 qualifying purchase while supplies last, or check into the store on Foursquare to claim the deal for a limited time.
RadioShack (NYSE: RSH), a retailer of mobile technology products and services, as well as products related to personal and home technology and power supply needs, has 4,300 company-owned stores in the United States, 270 in Mexico, and about 1,000 dealer and other outlets world wide. The company employs about 30,000 people.