Delphi, Verizon To Turn Mobile Phone Into In-Car Wi-Fi
TROY (WWJ) – Delphi Automotive PLC Monday launched a new service called Delphi Connect with 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot, a version of its cloud-based automotive connectivity system with Verizon Wireless.
Delphi and Verizon last year launched Delphi Connect in the United States, a device that allows car owners to remotely control, monitor and track their vehicle in real-time via a smart device or computer. Some of these features, which can be accessed at any time and from anywhere, include vehicle tracking and car locator, car locking or unlocking, car start, delivery of vehicle health notifications and geo-fencing.
The new Delphi Connect with 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot provides another option for people looking to bring Wi-Fi into their cars.
“Delphi Connect with 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot is real-time vehicle connectivity,” said Jeff Owens, Delphi chief technology officer. “From virtually anywhere, you can rely on Wi-Fi hotspot access at 4G LTE speed to make your vehicle as connected as your home or office.”
The following upgrades will also be added to both the original and the premium device:
• Increased compatibility: Compatible with more than 99 percent of the vehicles sold since the 1996 model year
• Automatic updates: Vehicle data is automatically updated without having to “refresh”
• Trip breadcrumbs: On the trip map, users can see the route their vehicle took, as well as the start and end points
• Rectangular geo-fences: In addition to circular geo-fences (vehicle boundaries), rectangular geo-fences can be created for improved vehicle monitoring
• Secure access to app: Optionally lock the Delphi Connect app using a personal four-digit PIN to block unauthorized use of the app while still providing quick access
• Remote logout: Mobile phones that have access to your account can be logged out of the app remotely. For example, parents of teen drivers can log out their teen’s smartphone access
• Updated entry notifications: Effortlessly add email addresses and mobile numbers to receive notifications of alerts
Delphi Connect with 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot is available for online purchase today at http://www.verizonwireless.com and available in Verizon Wireless retail stores on Nov. 21. Pricing is also available at http://www.verizonwireless.com.
Easy to install, Delphi Connect simply plugs into the vehicle’s OBD II port, typically located under the steering column. The system operates through downloadable Delphi smartphone apps, available for Android 2.2 and Apple IOS 5.0 and later devices, as well as a Delphi Web portal that is compatible with Internet Explorer 7 and later, Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Firefox browsers. Data transmitted through any Delphi Connect device remains secure and encrypted. The programmable nature of this product will allow Delphi to constantly improve the service and offerings in the future.
To learn more about Delphi Connect, please visit http://www.delphiconnect.com.