No Kiddie Without A Christmas: Detroit Goodfellows Celebrating 100 Years
DETROIT (WWJ) – Hundreds of Detroit Goodfellows are fanning out across the city, all in an effort to help needy children.
Monday marks the 100th anniversary for the organization, and Detroit Police officers and firefighters will work along with the Goodfellows to sell special editions of The Detroit News and Free Press at a variety of locations in downtown Detroit and midtown. Sales of the newspapers usually raise over $100,000.
With proceeds raised from the newspaper sales as well as other activities throughout the year, Goodfellows will be able to hand out 35,000 gift packages. Gift package distribution will start later this week and continue through December 19 in Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Harper Woods and River Rouge.
A parade in downtown Detroit celebrating the Goodfellows is also set for 10 a.m. Monday morning. The parade has been a holiday tradition in Detroit since 1914 to make sure there is, as their slogan goes, “no kiddie without a Christmas.”
- Goodfellows Newspaper Distribution
• Ren Cen – inside the building
• Detroit Fire Dept. – Washington Blvd.
• Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
• Guardian Building – 500 Griswold
• Penobscot Building
• Compuware Headquarters – One Campus Martius
• Eastern Market – Russell & Market St. (Freeway Service Dr.)
• Detroit Post Office – 1401 W. Fort Street
• One Detroit Center – Woodward and Larned
For more information on the Detroit Goodfellows, click here.