By Ashley Dunkak
DETROIT (CBS DETROIT) – It was another busy sports year in Detroit. The Tigers advanced to the ALCS for the third straight season and still managed to be widely viewed as a disappointment. The Lions raised hopes with the signing of Reggie Bush but by December began to fade in that “same old Lions” kind of way. The Red Wings kept their 22-year playoff streak alive only to be eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup champions, and the Pistons raised eyebrows with a flurry of off-season moves after the firing of coach Lawrence Franks.
Amid it all, there have been some high highs – Prince Fielder leaving! Erin Andrews single! – and some low lows, including bankruptcy and errant skydivers.
By the numbers, here are your favorite CBS Detroit stories of 2013.
10. Prince Fielder: ‘You Know I Sucked, But I Didn’t Have To Be Reminded Of It’ – The slugger whom Tigers fans welcomed with open arms in 2012 got booed a considerable amount as the 2013 season drew to a close. The comments Fielder made upon landing with Texas in the off-season fueled fans’ fire even more. Read them all HERE.
9. Skydiver Blindsides Shortstop, Crushes Him From Above – Just when a baseball player thinks all he needs to worry about is being drilled by a sizzling line drive coming off a bat at 100 miles per hour, a man drops out of the sky and lands on him. If you do not believe it, just watch what happens HERE.
8. Five Common Misconceptions About Ray Lewis’ Murder Trial – As the Super Bowl approached and the scenario of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis retiring a champion continued to becoming more and more probable, questions about his past arose. 97.1 The Ticket’s Eric Thomas went through the details of the murder trial in which Lewis was a witness 13 years earlier. To read it all, click HERE.
7. Erin Andrews Is Single And Admits Her Next Guy Could Live In Detroit – A tall, blond former Florida Gators Dazzler best known for her sideline reports, Andrews spoke with Jeff Riger of 97.1 The Ticket, and the ensuing awkward conversation was one apparently enjoyed by many. To watch the video, go HERE.
6. Report: Fielder’s Comments After Final Game May Have Played Role In Trade – Prince Fielder played a rather crucial role for the Tigers this season, hitting behind superstar Miguel Cabrera, who saw much more pitching than he would have without Fielder behind him. However, Fielder failed to produce in the playoffs, and his lack of emotion and big-picture talk infuriated fans and eventually led to his departure. Read the whole story HERE.
5. ‘Softer’ NFL Turns To Merchandising, Women To Expand Fan Base – The NFL has legislated many of its most violent hits out of the game and changed rules to benefit offensive players, but the efforts to make the game more marketer friendly have extended even further. To see more factors making football “softer,” click HERE.
4. Taiwan Video Pointedly Mocks Detroit’s Bankruptcy Filing – When Detroit officially declared bankruptcy, it also became a punch line, evidently one that translated worldwide. See the video HERE.
3. Cleveland Fans Sing ‘Detroit’s Bankrupt’ At Tigers Game – Some spectators in Cleveland took poor sportsmanship to a whole new level in wake of the city’s financial issues, and their not-so-classy actions were captured on camera. To read more about the incident, go HERE.
2. Is The ‘N-Word’ OK In The Detroit Lions Locker Room? – Terry Foster, co-host of The Valenti and Foster Show on 97.1 The Ticket, wrote a story that gained national attention for its exploration of racial paradigms in an NFL locker room. For more on which Lions used slurs as terms of endearment, click HERE for more.
1. Many NFL Players Want Thursday Games To Disappear; Reggie Bush Says Games Are ‘Like A Car Crash’ – With half the normal time to recover between games, Thursday Night Football puts tons of stress on players and coaches. Some players, including Detroit’s Reggie Bush, could live without Thursday games. Read the whole story HERE.