NORTHVILLE (WWJ) – Area gas stations and grocery stores were packed with customers, as thousands heed warnings of heavy snowfall and bitter temps. Storm ‘preppers’ hurried to get food and other supplies for the rough weather.
“I know people are comparing this to what it was like on Christmas eve … but with the storm coming in, I just had to get some stuff and thought what is going on? The lines are literally half-way through the store,” said WWJ’s Brooke Allen from a crowded Meijer store.
Allen said after 15 minutes in line, she wasn’t even close to the cashier.
“The parking lot was almost completely full,” said one shopper. “I had to get a parking spot that was clear out … closest to the road.”
One man told WWJ he’s never seen the Northville Meijer at Haggerty and 8-Mile as busy as it was Saturday afternoon.
“Usually there is an aisle way that you can walk between the cash registers and the clothes and jewelry counter and the cards … this time there was no space to pass anybody – so I had to walk into the merchandise to get back to where I needed to get to,” he said.
Find more storm related news HERE.
Storm Tips if you lose power:
· Don’t open refrigerators or freezers more often than absolutely necessary. A closed refrigerator will stay cold for 12 hours. Kept closed, a well-filled freezer will preserve food for two days.
· Turn off or unplug all appliances to prevent an electrical overload when power is restored. Leave on one light switch to indicate when power is restored.
· Always operate generators outdoors to avoid dangerous buildup of toxic fumes.
· If a customer is elderly or has a medical condition that would be adversely impacted by a power outage, they should try to make alternative accommodations with family or friends.
· During low-voltage conditions – when lights are dim and television pictures are smaller – shut off motor-driven appliances such as refrigerators to prevent overheating and possible damage. Sensitive electronic devices also should be unplugged.
· Stay out of flooded or damp basements or other areas if water is in contact with outlets or any electrically-operated appliance. The water or moisture may serve as a conductor of electricity. This can cause serious or even fatal injury.