Local

Macomb County Circuit Court Reopens After Bomb Scare

View Comments

MOUNT CLEMENS (WWJ) – The Macomb County Circuit Court House was closed for several hours Thursday after it was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said authorities received multiple phone calls, early Thursday morning, about a possible bomb threat at the court, located on Main Street near Cass and Gratiot avenues in downtown Mount Clemens.

“We had three different calls that came in early this morning from the same individual. Our investigators are working on trying to identify on where that call came from,” Wickersham told WWJ, Thursday morning.

Wickersham said several other law enforcement agencies assisted in the search. K9 units searched the court, floor by floor.

Nothing was found.

Earlier, attorney Bryan Longman, who was attending a hearing at the court, said he didn’t notice anything suspicious as everyone was ushered out of the building.

“Everybody is exiting the front doors and being told to go across the street,” Longman told WWJ’s Charlie Langton. “So far, everybody is being very orderly. There’s no crying, no screaming and everybody is complying with the police department’s orders.”

Details about the bomb threats or the caller were not immediately released.

“And as far as trying to identify the individual, we’ll be working diligently to try and do that,” Wickersham said.

Wickersham said anywhere from 800 to 1,000 people were inside the building when the evacuation was ordered.

No injuries were reported.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,053 other followers