CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

23rd Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Registration Now Open, 6/7/14

View Comments
RaceForTheCure195x146

Registration is now open for the largest breast cancer event in Michigan – the 23rd Annual Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®, locally presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. With the same mission of ending breast cancer, and a 5K with a 23-year tradition, we announce our date of Saturday, June 7 at an exciting new location: Detroit’s Chene Park.

“We have a strong history and an exciting future. We’re delighted about progress in Detroit, including construction of the M-1 Rail which precludes an event of this size at Comerica Park,” said Maureen Keenan Meldrum, Race chair. “We’re grateful for years of support at Comerica Park, and appreciative that Detroit’s Special Events team and the Detroit Police Department helped us choose our new venue. Our mission is the same – ending breast cancer. With our community’s support, we’ll carry on our Komen Detroit tradition at an exciting new venue and look forward to seeing 40,000 of our closest friends on June 7.”

Since inception in 1992, the Komen Detroit Race has raised and invested more than $25 million to support needs-based breast health programs in our community and fund breast cancer research in Michigan and around the world.

Known as one of the best days in the city of Detroit, the June 7, 2014 Komen Detroit Race for the Cure® has something for everyone. Ten thousand pink ribbons will decorate the Jefferson Ave. route where 20-plus bands and entertainment groups will perform; sponsors and other booths around Chene Park will have giveaways and offer exciting activities.
WHAT:
23rd Annual Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®
5K Competitive Run and Noncompetitive Walk Locally presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute Michigan’s largest breast cancer event Beloved traditions and cool, new stuff!
WHEN:
Saturday, June 7, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
7 a.m.: Street closures begin; onsite registration starts; all booths open
8 a.m.: Opening Ceremony honoring survivors and lost loved ones
9 a.m.: 5K Run followed by 5K Walk
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Closing Ceremony with runner and team awards

WHERE: Chene Park, 2600 Atwater St., on Detroit’s Riverfront

WHY: To save lives and end breast cancer forever.

WHAT YOU’LL SEE:
Children’s Activities Area 10,000 pink ribbons and WSU ArtsCorps Detroit figures 20-plus bands/entertainment groups Pink carpet-runway for Survivors Warriors in Pink Drummers, powered by Ford Ford Warriors in Pink interactive experience Memorial Site – communal art Surprises from Route Neighbors far and wide
Survivor Café Survivor Trolley Numerous sponsor giveaways Shop for the Cure® Warriors in Pink apparel New Balance Lace up for the Cure® gear Closing Ceremony with runner and team awards Local media personalities
Many metro Detroit businesses will be offering incentives to Race registrants wearing a 2014 Race t-shirt. Visit the Komen Detroit website in the coming weeks for more information.

THE IMPACT OF RACE PARTICIPATION
For more than three decades, Susan G. Komen has been seeking cures and helping low-income, uninsured and under-served people access life-saving breast cancer screening, education and treatment support. Komen’s mission has never changed. In metro Detroit, since 1992, the Komen Detroit Race has raised and invested over $25 million to help end breast cancer. Each year, the Race awards 75 percent of the net proceeds to breast cancer screening, treatment support and education programs for medically underserved people in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. The remaining 25 percent funds breast cancer research grants awarded through Susan G. Komen.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus