CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Grosse Ile Tops List Of 10 Safest Cities In Michigan

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

GROSSE ILE (WWJ) - If you’re looking for the safest place in Michigan, you might want to take a trip Downriver.

Grosse Ile Township has been named the safest city in Michigan with just a 1 in 115 chance of being the victim of a crime, according to Movoto Real Estate.

The online real estate broker looked at FBI crime statistics for 2012 in cities with a population of at least 10,000 people — a total of 102 cities. Researchers then looked at each of these places in terms of three criteria: violent crime (rape, murder, assault), property crime (theft, burglary, motor vehicle thefts), and the chance a resident will be a victim of crime.

Researchers placed a greater emphasis on violent crime (50 percent), followed by property crime (30 percent), and the chance of being a crime victim (20 percent).

According to the numbers, the safest city Grosse Ile had just 89 crimes total in 2012, of which 76 were larceny.

At the other end of the scale–Benton Harbor was deemed the most dangerous city, with 1,100 reported crimes for just over 10,000 residents, and 236 were violent crimes. That gives residents a 1 in 9 chance of being the victim of a crime. Those numbers are slightly worse than Detroit, where residents have a 1 in 12 chance of being the victim of a crime.

Top 10 Safest Cities In Michigan

1. Grosse Ile
2. Hamburg Township
3. South Lyon
4. Milford
5. Berkley
6. New Baltimore
7. Bloomfield Township
8. Riverview
9. West Bloomfield Township
10. Rochester

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Michigan

1. Benton Harbor
2. Flint
3. Detroit
4. Muskegon Heights
5. Highland Park
6. Harper Woods
7. Flint Township
8. Inkster
9. Saginaw
10. Ypsilanti

For more information on the study, visit www.movoto.com.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus