Accused ‘Blow Torch Rapist’ Held Without Bond In Attack On Detroit Woman

Roderick Neely (Booking Photo)

Roderick Neely (Booking Photo)

DETROIT (WWJ) – A 23-year-old man has been arraigned on torture and attempted rape charges following an attack on a Detroit woman who he allegedly burned with a blow torch.

Roderick Neely was arraigned Saturday and ordered held without bond pending his next court date. Neely also is charged with unlawful imprisonment, assault with intent to maim, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, felon in possession and felony firearm.

The charges stem from a incident that happened around 2 a.m. Wednesday in a blighted neighborhood near Plymouth and Meyers on the city’s west side. The 43-year-old victim told police she was leaving a gas station when a man came up behind her, put a gun to her head and forced her into a car. The woman said her attacker drove for a short time before parking the car. He then allegedly ripped off her clothing and began burning her with a blow torch.

Police said the victim was able to escape and call for help after stabbing her attacker in the eye with a screwdriver. She remains hospitalized in stable condition.

“It was the victim’s unwavering desire to survive that gave her the strength to overcome her attacker. Throughout the investigative process, the victim remained steadfast in her sense of duty to ensure that this criminal was taken off the streets, ending his reign of terror for all women in and around the city of Detroit,” police said in a statement.

Neely was arrested Friday morning during an attempted home invasion, along with another person.

Police believe Neely is the same man who attacked two women last July. The women were found just miles apart in vacant fields – both severely beaten and without any clothing.

The first woman was found around 5:50 a.m. July 26 in the 12800 block of Eaton, near Meyers Road and Lyndon Street. Police say the 37-year-old was physically assaulted and had burn marks on her body. Just over 24 hours later, the second woman was found around 7 a.m. July 27 at Elmira and Iris Streets, near Plymouth and Meyers roads. Police say the woman was set on fire and sexually assaulted. Although both women were left in critical condition after the attacks, they survived.


More From CBS Detroit

Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!
Daily J
Valenti and Foster

Watch & Listen