2013 Mich. Hunting Season Among Safest For Hunters
LANSING (AP) – The 2013 hunting season in Michigan appears to have been among the safest for hunters, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
One fatality was reported statewide. Sgt. Joe Molnar of the DNR’s Law Enforcement Division told The Alpena News that eight other people were injured during the year. According to a DNR report, carelessness was often cited as the cause.
“For the hundreds of thousands of hunters in Michigan, to have nine serious hunting accidents makes them relatively rare,” Molnar said.
In 2012, one fatality and 14 injuries were reported. Past years have seen more problems. In 1960, 11 people died and 296 were injured.
Last year, 52-year-old Michael Heisler, of St. Clair Township, near Port Huron, was accidentally shot while hunting Nov. 15 on state land in Montmorency County’s Albert Township, about 180 miles northwest of Detroit. He was shot on the first day of firearm deer hunting season.
The cause was attributed to careless handling of a firearm, the newspaper said.
Among injuries reported, a rabbit ran past two men in Barry County and when both turned to fire, one of them was shot in the back. Careless handing of crossbows led to two reported injuries, including one who fell asleep with his finger on the crossbow trigger and the bolt went through his foot.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.