DETROIT (WWJ) – Detroit police are investigating a shooting that took one person’s life and left another critically injured.

The shooting happened around 3 a.m. Wednesday at a home on Talbot Street, between Conant Street and Mound Road on the Detroit-Hamtramck border.

Sgt. Michael Woody told WWJ four people were involved in the shooting. He said two men inside the home got into an argument with two men outside the home, all of whom were armed. At some point, someone drew their weapon and that’s when bullets started flying.

One person was killed, while another was taken to the hospital in critical conditions. Their identities have not yet been released.

Police said the other two men involved in the shooting fled the scene immediately afterward.

Reporting live from the scene, WWJ’s Ron Dewey said investigators found stray bullets from the shooting at a townhouse across the street — including one that went through the window of a 4-year-old child’s upstairs bedroom.

Country Ousley said the bullet hit just a few feet away from where his son was sleeping.

A large bullet hole is seen in the bedroom window of a 4-year-old. (Credit: Ron Dewey/WWJ Newsradio 950)

A large bullet hole is seen in a 4-year-old child’s bedroom window after a deadly double shooting in Detroit. (Credit: Ron Dewey/WWJ Newsradio 950)

“I was woke up by a range of shots and the next thing you know, I heard another different caliber gun fire off and then I heard some piercings,” Ousley said. “So, when I heard the piercings, I told my kids’ mama that I think a bullet just came into the house.”

Ousley said he then ran into his son’s room, saw the giant bullet hole and put the boy flat on the floor. He said his son was uninjured, but very shaken up.

“It’s kind of scary to a certain extent for my kids but it’s nothing new to me. It happens in the city all the time, so it’s nothing really new. I just hope they start paying attention and people just come to the reality that life is too short to be taking someone else’s life for no reason,” Ousley said.

Investigators remained on the scene hours after the shooting, searching for evidence and trying to develop a suspect profile. At least three dozen evidence markers littered the crime scene.

Woody said investigators aren’t sure if the gunmen fled the scene by foot or in a car, but they have found a few solid footprints in the freshly fallen snow.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has joined the investigation.

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and for the latest.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE