Blaze Leaves Dozens Homeless After Neighbor Grills On Wooden Apartment Balcony

INKSTER (WWJ) – Dozens of people were burned out of their homes in Inkster after their neighbor decided to fire up the grill on a wooden balcony.

Fire broke out just before 2 a.m. Thursday at the three-story, 12-unit Dartmouth Square Apartments in the 26000 block of Dartmouth, near Beech Daly Road and Annapolis Street.

Apartment Manager Sonia Manners told WWJ’s Ron Dewey the fire started after one of the tenants broke a rule.

“It’s my understand that one of the units barbecued earlier in the day. She said this evening, someone came knocking on her door, stating that the balcony was on fire,” Manners said.

Charcoal in the woman’s grill apparently rekindled overnight and flames eventually spread throughout the building before firefighters responded and extinguished the blaze.

Manners said the building was evacuated and no one appears to have been injured. She said the American Red Cross is helping displaced families find temporary shelter.

“Because it is a low-income housing community, we do encourage individuals to get renter’s insurance, but not all of the time do they do that. So now we have displaced families with no insurance and no place to go. That does make me feel not so good,” she said.

An investigation is ongoing.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!
Daily J

Watch & Listen