Feds Called In To Assist In Search For Possible Kidnap Victim
DETROIT (WWJ) – The search has been on for hours for a man who called Detroit police, claiming he had been abducted, stabbed and left in a vacant building on Detroit’s east side.
Chief James Craig says police had been on the phone with the man since early morning, speaking with him on and off for hours. Their last contact came at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say the man’s phone keeps disconnecting, and they’re not sure if he’s in danger. He reportedly speaks only Russian, with limited broken English, and says he’s a lieutenant in the Russian Army.
“We have a translator and we’ve been successful in getting the information and that is the reason why we are at the location we are currently at – looking, based on landmarks that he described … streets, in particular, Jefferson, we believe we are in the right area of the city.
We did get a name and at this point we are going to continue with our investigation based on what he expressed, that he is a lieutenant with a branch of the Russian armed forces.”
Craig says that they have searched over 25 buildings, spanning about 15 city blocks as of Tuesday evening.
Federal authorities have been called-in to assist with the investigation.
Read related story [HERE].