MONROE, Mich. (AP) – A 7-month-old girl has been severely burned after her older brother apparently set fire to a crib blanket in their southeast Michigan home.
The Monroe News reports Saturday that the child is in intensive care with third-degree burns over 15 percent of her body.
Monroe police Sgt. Charles McCormick IV tells the newspaper that the baby was asleep in her nursery Friday morning and it appears her 4-year-old brother was playing with a lighter when the fire started. The flames spread to the crib mattress.
Their parents rushed to the nursery and poured water on the flames after hearing smoke alarms.
The baby suffered burns to her left side, back, head and a hand.
Monroe is about 35 miles southwest of Detroit.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.