Prep Football Star Sentenced To 60 Days For Security Guard Assault
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) — A 17-year-old football star has been sentenced to 60 days in jail, plus 15 months probation, in the body-slamming of a security officer in his Detroit high school.
The sentence for Jayru Campbell was handed down Friday morning in Wayne County Circuit Court. He’ll get credit for three days served.
Judge Timothy Kenny ordered Campbell undergo drug testing, counseling, anger management classes, and complete 75 hours of community service, and pay more than $600 in court costs.
A mentor will be assigned to him and quarterly reports on his behavior will be sent to the judge.
He’ll have to go to summer school to make up days missed due to his court case.
After that, the judge said, Campbell must turn himself in to begin his sentence on Aug. 28.
“I apologize to the security guard, Robert, for my actions on January 22, 2014. It was not my intention to cause the pain and injuries that you have suffered — I am sorry,” Campbell said in a statement during Friday’s sentencing.
The Cass Technical High School junior pleaded guilty earlier this month to misdemeanor aggravated assault in a deal that could leave him with a clean record. A felony charge was dismissed.
Campbell’s defense attorney, Jeffrey Edison, earned praise from the judge for guiding his client to a resolution that could keep the teen’s criminal record free all charges in this case, if Campbell fulfills all the conditions as outlined.
“My split-second actions have impacted both of our lives and our families. I have learned more than I expected to learn from this incident. With the support of family, friends, as well as professionals, I am better able to channel my emotions and to respond better to intense situations,” Campbell continued in his statement.
Campbell admitted that he slammed a security officer head-first on Jan. 22 after refusing to pull a hood off his head. The confrontation was recorded on video.
“I ask that you accept my apology and I wish the best for you in the future,” Campbell added.
Campbell, as quarterback, led Cass Tech to state championships in 2011 and 2012. He has said he wants to play football at Michigan State in 2015.
Edison said he accepts responsibility for his actions, has apologized to the victim, and is ready to do what is required “to move on.”
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.