DETROIT (WWJ) – Soccer may be called football by the Europeans but pizza is pizza everywhere.
Dominos Pizza expects a healthy spike in delivery orders around the globe during the World Cup Soccer tournament being held in Brazil this year.
In celebration of the 2014 soccer games, Domino’s is highlighting several innovations since the 2010 games including ordering apps and gluten-free crust.
Making the connection between pizza and soccer even closer the corporate folks in Ann Arbor figured out that during the soccer games in 2010, Domino’s delivered enough pizzas to stretch across more than 40,000 soccer fields (lengthwise).
Also, during the 2010 matches, Domino’s produced enough dough to match the weight of more than 24,988,000 soccer balls.
While we’re at it, here are a few fun facts about our pizza consumption from Pizza.com:
- We consume around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperonis every year and 36 percent of all pizza orders want their pizza with pepperoni
- Some popular pizza toppings in Japan are squid and Mayo Jaga (mayonaise, potato and bacon)
- 94 percent of Americans eat pizza regularly
- And that is precisely why the top 5 pizza sales days are:
- Super Bowl Sunday, New Year’s Eve, Halloween, The night before Thanksgiving, and New Year’s Day
- 93 percent of Americans have eaten pizza in the last month
- Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza a day or about 350 slices per second.
- Each person in America eats about 46 pizza slices a year.
That’s a lot of pizza!
And …. don’t forget to tip!!