Guide To 2014 Detroit Fireworks
DETROIT (WWJ) - Summer is now in full swing and Detroit is ready to party!
Hundreds of thousands of spectators will line the shores of the Detroit River to enjoy the 56th annual Ford Fireworks on Monday, June 23.
The fireworks will be shot from three barges on the Detroit River, beginning at 10:06 p.m. If you want to get a good seat, make sure to get there early because the crowd will grow quickly.
This year’s show will be choreographed by Patrick Brault, who has designed pyrotechnic displays internationally, including the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The show will feature more than 10,000 pyrotechnic effects, visible for miles along the Detroit River.
Here are all the important details you need to know, including best places to watch and where to park:
• Hart Plaza will be open to the general public, but pedestrian set-ups and/or gatherings will not be permitted before 2 p.m. on June 23.
• Entry to Hart Plaza will close once it has reached desired capacity. There is no re-admittance once you leave Hart Plaza.
• No tents allowed.
• No alcohol, pets, or contraband (weapons, knives, etc.) will be allowed.
• Flames or fires are prohibited, and cooking is prohibited.
• Reserving an area in excess of the number of people currently in the group is prohibited.
• Coolers and backpacks will be searched
• Belle Isle will open at 5 a.m. for all pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
• Belle Isle will be closed on Monday, June 23, until 2 p.m. for vehicle traffic.
• Motorists will need the Recreation Passport to enter the island. The passport, which is only needed for vehicles, may be purchased at the entrance for $11.
• Once island capacity is reached, no additional vehicles will be admitted to the park.
• Alcohol consumption is prohibited on the island except by use permit, which can be obtained from the park supervisor with a shelter or event rental.
• Tents and canopies should be 9 feet by 9 feet or smaller with no more than two tents or canopies per group.
• Consumer fireworks are prohibited on the island.
Mt. Elliott Park, Owens Park and Erma Henderson Park are also popular viewing areas. The Detroit RiverWalk will be closed.
STREET & FREEWAY CLOSURES
The following traffic changes will go into effect at approximately 6 p.m.:
• No northbound or southbound traffic will be admitted onto Woodward Avenue between Fisher Freeway and Congress except for emergency vehicles, D-DOT and SMART bus coaches.
• Jefferson Avenue will be closed to eastbound and westbound traffic between the Chrysler Freeway (I-375) and Griswold, except for emergency vehicles. All other eastbound vehicles will be routed north onto the Chrysler service drive.
• West Jefferson from Cobo Center westbound will be closed. Parking will be prohibited on West Jefferson, on Civic Center Drive and on Atwater to St. Aubin.
• Outbound traffic will be routed on West Jefferson from the Joe Louis Arena garage to Rosa Parks Boulevard; traffic will then proceed north on Rosa Parks to the freeways.
• Traffic on Gratiot Avenue between I-375 and Randolph will be routed one way northbound only.
• Traffic on Brush between Lafayette and Madison will be routed northeast onto Gratiot or east onto Madison.
• Monroe Street, between Randolph and Woodward Avenue, will be barricaded and closed. Traffic on Monroe between Randolph and I-375 will be routed to travel eastbound only.
• Third Street at West Jefferson will be closed to the public and restricted for emergency vehicle use.
• Fort Street traffic between Cabacier and Rosa Parks Boulevard will be restricted to residents of the Riverfront Towers Apartments/Condominiums.
• Eastbound traffic on Fort Street will be allowed to turn right onto Griswold and proceed to the Lodge Freeway.
• Traffic on Trumbull Avenue between W. Fort and Fisher Freeway will be routed to travel northbound only.
• Traffic on Larned and Congress will be allowed to flow in respective directions, with no southbound turns except vehicles en route to the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel via Randolph.
• Michigan Avenue traffic will be westbound only.
• All traffic proceeding south on Griswold will be directed to the Lodge Freeway, via Congress.
• Eastbound Lafayette traffic will turn right at Griswold and proceed to westbound Congress to northbound Lodge freeway.
• St. Antoine traffic flow will be one way northbound from Atwater after the fireworks display.
• Woodbridge, Franklin, and Atwater between St. Antoine and Rivard will be one way, eastbound throughout the evening.
• Rivard will be one way northbound from Atwater to Lafayette after the fireworks display.
• E. Grand Blvd. will be used for outbound traffic from Belle Isle. Belle Isle traffic will proceed northbound on East Grand Boulevard and eastbound on East Jefferson.
• No parking on West Jefferson between 23rd and St. Anne.
• All the main streets – Michigan, Grand River, Gratiot, E. Grand Blvd. and W. Grand Blvd. – will remain open to allow motorists access to freeways. Woodward will remain open north of the Fisher Freeway service drive.
• Beginning at 2 p.m., surface streets south of Jefferson between Rivard and Jos. Campau will be closed to all vehicles and pedestrians.
• Beginning at 6 p.m., freeways will begin to close.
• There will be no vehicular traffic south of Jefferson from Third to Jos. Campau.
NOTE: The Detroit Police Department reserves the right to request closure of the freeways and surfaces streets earlier or later, depending on the volume of vehicle traffic.
Ford Underground Garage — 30 E. Jefferson
6 a.m. — 1 a.m.
$5 — $15
Joe Louis Arena Garage — 900 W. Jefferson
6 a.m. — 1 a.m.
Millennium Garage — 432 W. Congress
6 a.m. — 1 a.m.
$5 — $15
Premier Garage — 1206-08 Woodward Ave.
$5 — $15
The Municipal Parking Department also will not enforce parking meters after 6 p.m. on June 23.
NOTE: Fireworks viewing from any parking facility and tailgating are prohibited.
Motorists are advised to observe parking restrictions. Violators will be ticketed and in some instances, vehicles may be towed.
Motorists will be ticketed for:
• Improper parking (vehicles within 20 feet from crosswalk; within 15 feet from an intersection, within 30 feet of a stop sign or traffic control device; and within 15 feet of a fire hydrant)
• Parking in designated zones, such as handicap zones (without proper credentials), fire lane, no parking zones or no standing zones.
Towed vehicles within the downtown area will be held at 2121 W. Fort near Rosa Parks. Vehicles towed on Belle Isle will remain on the island. Tow lots close at 1 a.m. The fee for towing is $215.
Detroit People Mover
The Detroit People Mover (DPM) will operate from 6:30 a.m. until midnight. The fare is 75 cents per ride, and children ages five and under ride free.
Due to the early closures of the Cobo, Millender and Renaissance centers, trains will bypass these facilities on June 23 beginning at 3 p.m. There will be no public access to these People Mover stations. Patrons are asked to exit at the nearest available station. Bricktown, Financial District and Joe Louis Arena (via the RiverWalk) stations are within walking distance to Hart Plaza. All other DPM stations will remain open.
DDOT Bus Service
• Additional service will be provided after the fireworks leaving downtown on an as-needed basis.
• All coaches will leave from the Rosa Parks Transit Center and service will extend until 1 a.m.
Police will actively enforce a citywide curfew, requiring that all minors age 17 and under be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Minors will be allowed to travel to and from work or organized sports. The curfew is in effect from 6 p.m. on June 23 until 6 a.m. on June 24.
Minors in violation of the curfew will be taken to Southwestern District at 4700 W. Fort and issued a ticket. Minors will be held there until picked up by a parent or guardian. The parent or guardian also may receive a parental responsibility violation ticket.
Parents can find lost children in the following locations:
• Downtown/Hart Plaza – Cobo Center, Wayne Hall (313-877-8777)
• Butzel Family Center–7737 Kercheval
• Southwest Area – Southwestern Police District – 4700 W. Fort Street (313-596-5300)