DETROIT (WWJ) – Detroit police have taken the stepmother of the 12-year-old boy who had been missing for almost two weeks into custody.
Police confirmed that the arrest of Monique Bothuell was linked to a parole violation and told WWJ that two children were removed from the home by Child Protective Services.
Meantime, 12-year-old Charlie Bothuell is now in the custody of his mother.
He was discovered in his father’s basement after an 11 day search.
On Wednesday, Detroit Police Chief Craig said the boy did not announce himself to officers, and “appeared to be hiding” behind some boxes and a large plastic drum. Woody said he couldn’t comment on reports that the boy was found set up with some “fresh food” — including chicken.
Charlie Bothuell IV said his home had been thoroughly searched multiple times by himself, Detroit police and the FBI.
“So to say that, um, you know…for anybody to imply that I somehow knew my son was in the basement, it’s absurd,” he said.
“I thought my son was dead,” he said as he broke down in tears and hugged a reporter.
As police had searched for any sign of the child’s whereabouts, Charlie Bothuell IV and his wife Monique, said they felt like they were being treated like suspects despite the fact they were cooperating with investigators.
Charlie Bothuell IV submitted to a polygraph test, but only after demanding it be conducted by the FBI due to a “negative experience” with the Detroit Police Department. Reports say the test’s results were inconclusive.
The case has gained national attention — Charlie Bothuell IV, clad in suit and tie, discussed his son’s disappearance on CNN with Nancy Grace.
Police are not commenting about whether they are looking into child abuse charges.