ROCHESTER HILLS (WWJ) – A reported lightning strike creates a rude awakening for an Oakland County family.
A home in the Rochester Hills area of Hamlin and Livernois was the target of a lightning strike early Monday morning and while police
report that everyone got out of the house safely – the strike led to a fire at the home.
While the damage to the home is significant, it appears to have been contained at the second level.
Overnight, a severe thunderstorm has left several people injured near Grand Rapids.
The National Weather Service confirms a tornado ripped through Kentwood. There was extensive damage to some parts of the town including a banquet center and several homes – despite that there were just two injuries.
Over 9,000 Consumers Energy customers lost power during the storms.
Should you lose power, here are a few storm tips to keep in mind:
· Don’t open refrigerators or freezers more often than absolutely necessary. A closed refrigerator will stay cold for 12 hours. Kept closed, a well-filled freezer will preserve food for two days.
· Turn off or unplug all appliances to prevent an electrical overload when power is restored. Leave on one light switch to indicate when power is restored.
· Always operate generators outdoors to avoid dangerous buildup of toxic fumes.
· If a customer is elderly or has a medical condition that would be adversely impacted by a power outage, they should try to make alternative accommodations with family or friends.
· During low-voltage conditions – when lights are dim and television pictures are smaller – shut off motor-driven appliances such as refrigerators to prevent overheating and possible damage. Sensitive electronic devices also should be unplugged.
· Stay out of flooded or damp basements or other areas if water is in contact with outlets or any electrically-operated appliance. The water or moisture may serve as a conductor of electricity. This can cause serious or even fatal injury.
Know before you go: Keep it tuned to WWJ Newsradio 950 for traffic and weather, every 10 minutes on the 8s. Check the CBS Detroit weather page for the extended forecast and up-to-the-minute information.