DETROIT (WWJ) – A judge questions why an ex-con accused in the murder of a two-year-old Inkster girl was not in jail at the time of the murder.

Twenty-five-year-old Raymone Jackson appeared in Wayne County Circuit Court Wednesday for arraignment on a host of charges — including first-degree murder — in connection with the shooting death of KaMiya Gross reports WWJ’s Jon Hewett.

But the judge presiding over the case, David Groner, openly questioned why Jackson was even at large … saying he should have been behind bars on a drug charge stemming from last year, an 11-month sentence Groner himself imposed last September.

Groner asked the government why Jackson wasn’t immediately transferred to jail March 26 when Michigan paroled him after a drug sentence.

Officials didn’t offer an explanation.

Jackson, is also charged with torture and assault in connection with the fatal shooting of KaMiya, and the shooting and injuring of the child’s father and 13-year-old cousin.

Michigan State Police Lieutenant Michael Shaw explained the torture charge in what police describe as a case of retaliation.

“The child was the intended target and that’s what the torture charge was for,” Shaw said. “His thought process was that he was going to kill the child in front of this guy and then kill him afterwards and so that would be the last thing he sees.”

This case was mentioned by former Inkster Police Chief Hilton Napoleon as one of the reasons he was resigning – citing the senselessness of the crime among the reasons for his departure.

In a statement to WWJ the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office stated Wednesday evening:

The subject (Raymond Jackson- alias Raymone Jackson) was remanded to custody in September 2013 to serve 11 months on a non-violent, non-assaultive conviction. The WCSO was authorized to allow him to serve as an inmate worker, which gives eligible inmates a chance to earn time off their sentence through work in the facility. With additional time credited for “statutory good behavior”, Jackson was released in March, following notification to the MDOC. The MDOC had the option to pick Jackson up and return him to MDOC custody—they declined and removed the detainer. Upon release in March 2014, Jackson was to be on probation under the supervision of MDOC through September 2015. In addition, Jackson was turned over to Dearborn Heights Police due to outstanding warrants.



TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE