Hatch Detroit Announces Semi-Finalists In $50K Grant Competition
By Edward Cardenas
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) – Ten new businesses ranging from a music retail store to a full service breakfast and lunch concept restaurant were announced Wednesday as semi-finalists in the 2014 Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest presented by the Detroit Lions.
The businesses were selected from nearly 240 businesses who submitted business plans to compete in the competition to win a $50,000 grant courtesy of Comerica Bank and legal, marketing, accounting and IT support from Hatch Detroit.
“They are the next things,” said Nick Gorga, founder of Hatch Detroit, which is in the midst of its fourth competition. “These are 10 absolute best examples of the emerging businesses the city of Detroit has to offer.”
The top 10 businesses vying for public votes are according to organizers:
- Alegria Pops will make paletas (Mexican ice pops) incorporating fresh, whole fruits and a variety of other authentic Mexican ingredients such as Chili and tamarind.
- Bumbo’s aims to be a true working class neighborhood bar with a fenced-in, cozy back patio area featuring healthy yet delicious dining options.
- Cockadoodle is a full-service breakfast and lunch concept planned for the Avenue of Fashion that embodies the values of farm-freshness, genuine hospitality, quality standards and community honor.
- Gabriel Hall plans to be a live entertainment bar & restaurant which celebrates the rich New Orleans-Detroit musical history and connection featuring an authentic Cajun menu and signature drinks.
- McClary Bros. Outpost aims to be a tasting room/soda shoppe/bottling facility in Corktown serving fountain sodas made from drinking vinegars otherwise known as “Shrub Sodas.”
- Rocco’s Italian Deli hopes by offering high quality meats, cheeses, vegetables and herbs to add to Midtown’s food options and bolster its ethnic diversity by delivering a product and experience that is unique and affordable
- Sister Pie plans to celebrate the seasons through pie and will use seasonal, locally-sourced ingredients to create sweet and savory food, including pies, cookies, breads and breakfast pastries.
- Third Wave Music is an instrument retail store concept that plans to sell new and used instruments, provide lessons and operate a repair facility, and aims to become a necessary place for Detroit musicians.
- Uncle Bug’s Organic Creamery intends to be an ice cream manufacturing company with a retail scoop shop and wholesale distribution business offering a sustainably delicious ice cream that closes the gap in Detroit’s demand for artisanal ice cream.
- 1701 Bespoke is a group of clothiers dedicated to providing designer custom clothes, such as suits, shirts and overcoats, crafted from hundreds of fabrics for men who value fit and style.
Round one of public voting runs from 12:01 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 7 through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, at www.hatchdetroit.com. The top four finalists will be announced, and the second round of public voting begins on Aug. 15, and runs through noon Aug. 20.
The winner will be announced at the Hatch Off event, where the final four will present their business pitch one last time to a panel of judges in the glass atrium at Ford Field in downtown Detroit.