DETROIT (WWJ) – More than two million bean bag chairs are being recalled for suffocation and choking hazards following the deaths of two children.
New Orleans-based Ace Bayou Corp. said zippers on the bean bag chairs can be opened by children who can then crawl inside, get trapped and suffocate or choke on the bean bag chair’s foam beads.
The company said a 13-year old boy from McKinney, Texas died and a 3-year-old girl from Lexington, Ky. died after suffocating from lack of air and inhaling the chair’s foam beads. Both children were found inside the chairs.
The recalled bean bag chairs were sold before July 2013 at retailers nationwide, including Michigan, such as Meijer and Walmart, as well as online at Amazon.com, Meijer.com and Walmart.com, for between $30 and $100. The chairs were made in China.
The recalled bean bag chairs have two zippers that can be unzipped and opened, including one of the exterior cover and other directly underneath that zipper. The recalled chairs were sold in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors and fabrics. They include round or L-shaped, vinyl or fabric, and are filled with polystyrene foam beads.
The round bean bag chairs were sold in three sizes, 30, 32 and 40 inches in diameter. The L-shaped bean bag chair measures 18 inches wide by 30 inches deep by 30 inches high. “ACE BAYOU CORP” is printed on a tag sewn into the bean bag chair’s cover seam.
Consumers should check their bean bag chairs for any zippers that can open, take those that can open away from children immediately and contact Ace Bayou for a free repair kit to permanently disable the zippers so that they cannot be opened.
For more information, call Ace Bayou at 855-751-8151 or visit at www.acebayou.com.