GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) – Officials say football players from a Grand Rapids-area high school who were sidelined by an intestinal bug probably had been exposed during a team campout.
Rockford High School forfeited a game against Saline on Aug. 26. About 30 people associated with the football team were sick.
The Kent County Health Department says six of them have since been diagnosed with cryptosporidiosis. The others had symptoms consistent with the disease, including nausea and diarrhea.
The illness is caused by a microscopic parasite.
The department says the athletes apparently were infected through contact with surface water or mud during their team retreat Aug. 12-13.
People can begin showing symptoms of cryptosporidiosis up to 10 days after being infected.
Officials say they’re confident the primary exposure didn’t happen on school property.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)