MT. CLEMENS (WWJ) – Two years after a Macomb County Jail inmate died while serving his sentence, federal prosecutors say there will be no criminal charges filed in the case.
The decision came down from U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade on Monday, following a lengthy FBI investigation into events leading up to the death of 32-year-old David Stojcevski in June of 2014.
Stojcevski, who was serving a 30-day sentence, died from what his family attorney Robert Ihrie says was withdrawal from prescribed methadone treatment, 16 days into his jail stay.
Macomb County officials went before the media to defend themselves last fall when a video released to WDIV-TV showed hundreds of hours of footage of Stojevski naked, emaciated and twitching, talking to himself, hiding from the jail lights under his bed, suffering from withdrawal and dehydration, his attorney said.
Responding to the charges last year, Hackel contended that jail officers acted quickly to try to help Stojcevski; but that isn’t enough for Ihrie, who represents Stojevski’s family in an ongoing civil case against the county.
“All that happened is they watched him lose 50 lbs. and become weaker and weaker and weaker until he finally died,” Ihrie said. “He had no control over his own body — they had complete control — and ultimately a jury will have to look at the fact of this case and make a determination as to who is responsible for that death and what degree they must atone, and we look forward to that day.”
Sheriff Anthony Wickersham was pleased by the news that the federal investigation found that no negligence.
He told reporters the facts of the case will come out during the civil trial, set for January, 2017.
In the meantime, the sheriff said, “I will not debate them in the media. I would only ask that you wait for the facts and report them then.”