EMU Dorm Evacuated After Curling Iron Causes Fire

YPSILANTI (WWJ) – An Eastern Michigan University residence hall was evacuated, Monday afternoon, due to a small fire in a dorm room.

University personnel told WWJ Newsradio 950 that the blaze broke out when a hot curling iron touched a mattress in Putnam Hall.

“Now, the fire was confined to that room,” said Geoff Larcom, head of media relations at the school. “And as a precaution two students and three police officers were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene and they were released.”

Because of the smoke, alarms also sounded in Walton, Phelps and Sellers halls, Larcom said.

No one was injured.

Students were allowed back in Putnam Hall once the smoke cleared.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen