DTE: We Warned Detroit About Power Line That Killed Girl

ED WHITE
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) — DTE Energy says it warned Detroit’s lighting agency that two power lines were down near a home — weeks before a 12-year-old girl was electrocuted in September.

The disclosure was made Friday in a report to state regulators, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

Kabrinanna Griffin was playing in a friend’s yard on Sept. 7 when she was electrocuted. An inactive line that belonged to the city was energized by a live DTE wire.

DTE says an employee noticed two downed city lines weeks earlier on July 27. An employee taped the area off and went door-to-door to warn residents.

DTE says the Detroit Public Lighting Authority was informed but apparently wrongly believed that DTE had fixed the problem.

Mayor Mike Duggan calls the girl’s death a “terrible tragedy.”

 

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Places To See Indie Rock In DetroitIt's called Detroit Rock City for a reason.
Guide: Best Barbecue In Metro DetroitSometimes, nothing hits the spot like good barbecue.

Watch & Listen LIVE