DETROIT (WWJ) – If southbound I-75 in Wayne County is part of your commute — this is one traffic alert you’re not going to like.
The Michigan Department of Transportation announced Friday that is investing an estimated $165 million in major repairs to I-75 from Detroit to Brownstown Township over a two-year period.
When the project begins in early 2017, MDOT will be closing southbound I-75 from Springwells Street in Detroit to North Line Road in Southgate.
Southbound I-75 traffic will be detoured through the end of 2017, while northbound I-75 will remain open at all times. Eventually, the northbound side will close with traffic shifted to the southbound lanes before the project wraps up in late 2018.
Alternate route options include I-94, M-85 (Fort Street), Jefferson Avenue, and Dix Highway. The posted detour for commercial vehicles will include southbound I-75 to westbound I-96, then southbound I-275 to southbound I-75 in Monroe.
The project includes:
• Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the I-75 Rouge River Bridge, the bridge with the largest concrete surface area in Michigan.
• Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the two Dearborn Street ramp bridges adjacent to the Rouge River Bridge, as well as at the Fort Street bridge just north of the Rouge River Bridge.
• Removing and replacing the bridges carrying I-75 over Goddard Road and the drain north of Goddard Road.
• Overhauling 13 other bridges along I-75 through the Downriver communities.
• Adding intelligent transportation system equipment, which includes electronic signs, cameras, and traffic information gathering equipment to help MDOT communicate to drivers about travel times, safety, and mobility issues.
• Pavement patching on northbound and southbound I-75 between the Rouge River and Goddard Road.
To allow residents, businesses, and drivers plenty of time to prepare alternate routes, motorists will see warning signs posted well in advance of the project saying, “South 75 exit 45 to 37 will close in early 2017.”
More information on the project can be found at 75rougeriver.com.