Candle May Be To Blame For Overnight Apartment Fire

SOUTH LYON (WWJ) – Residents of a South Lyon apartment complex scrambled to safety after a fire ripped through their building overnight.

The fire took off early Friday morning at the Waters Edge Apartments off of Lafayette Street just north of 10 Mile Road.

Officials say roughly eight of the complex’s 192 units were damaged in the fire, which burned through the roof and the back of the building. All residents were able to get out safely.

“My apartment, thank God, it’s just got a little bit of water damage so I’ll be able to live here still,” Johnnie Gordon told WWJ’s Mike Campbell. “But other than that, just this apartment here and upstairs, we’re going to have to kind of take a break today because out lights are out.”

While an official cause of the fire has yet to be determined, authorities say someone might have fallen asleep and knocked over a burning candle.

Displaced residents won’t have to go too far to find new homes; they’ll be moving into other empty units in the complex.

An investigation remains ongoing.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Places To See Indie Rock In DetroitIt's called Detroit Rock City for a reason.
Guide: Best Barbecue In Metro DetroitSometimes, nothing hits the spot like good barbecue.
Best Ice Cream Shops In Metro DetroitIt's getting warm outside! Take advantage of it.

Watch & Listen LIVE