GRAND RAPIDS (AP) – A Roman Catholic group says it has settled a lawsuit with the federal government over birth control after the Trump administration allowed more employers to opt out of providing no-cost contraception based on religious or moral objections.

Michigan Catholic Conference president Paul Long said Wednesday it’s a “victory for religious liberty.” The group is the public policy arm of the Catholic church in Michigan.

The group sued in 2013 in response to birth control rules under the Affordable Care Act, which was signed by President Barack Obama.

The Trump administration recently broadened a religious exemption that previously applied to houses of worship, religion-affiliated nonprofit groups and closely held private companies. The government says the contraception mandate can’t be enforced against the Catholic Conference.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Cooking Classes In DetroitLearn how to whip up some wonderful dishes while having fun!
5 Bucket List Items To Cross Off In DetroitThe “must-do” items for anyone making a trip to Detroit.
Best Spots For A Quick Lunch In Downtown DetroitThese places will get you in and out.

Watch & Listen LIVE