LIVONIA (WWJ) – Authorities say a family escaped without injuries after a fire started in their garage and quickly spread through their Livonia home.

The fire broke out around 3 a.m. Tuesday in the 18000 block of Lathers, off of Inkster and 6 Mile roads. Neighbors saw flames coming from the home, called 911 and started banging on the door. Livonia Fire Marshall Keith Bo says that’s when the homeowner woke up, realized the smoke alarms were going off and rescued his family.

“No one was injured. Everybody got out the back window of the house,” Bo told WWJ’s Mike Campbell.

The fire started in the garage but a cause has yet to be determined.

“Both cars (were damaged). One car was in the garage, and the garage was full of a lot of equipment,” said Bo.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze, but it was no easy feat. Livonia had to call in help from Redford because its crews were assisting at a house fire in Northville. On top of that, a water main broke as crews were putting out the last hot spots. About 40 customers in the neighborhood are currently without water until crews can fix the break.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE