ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – A misstep in the kitchen of a popular market in Royal Oak left the store completely filled with smoke.

Firefighters were called around 5 a.m. Friday to Holiday Market, along Main Street just north of I-696, after a small fire broke out in the loading dock area.

Owner Gina Mangold said the incident happened as their chefs were preparing smoked meats and other meals for the day.

“One of our people put some ashes that were hot into the compactor. Since the trash compactor is inside the building, smoke just engulfed the store,” Mangold told WWJ’s Charlie Langton.

Fire crews had to completely remove the compactor from the building to stop the smoke, which filled the store.

“Because the dumpster is inside the building and is super heavy, the fire department could not pull it out. So we had to wait a couple hours until we found a truck that’s strong enough to pull it out,” said Mangold.

No injuries were reported.

The building has since been cleared out and is now open for business as usual.

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for the latest. 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Cooking Classes In DetroitLearn how to whip up some wonderful dishes while having fun!
5 Bucket List Items To Cross Off In DetroitThe “must-do” items for anyone making a trip to Detroit.
Best Spots For A Quick Lunch In Downtown DetroitThese places will get you in and out.

Watch & Listen LIVE