CLARKSTON (WWJ/AP) – A Michigan State basketball recruit who’s been barred from playing a final high school season is dropping his lawsuit against the Michigan High School Athletic Association.

Thomas Kithier’s best shot to get back on the court failed when a judge refused to reinstate him three weeks ago. With just weeks left in the season, he says he’s dropping the case.

Kithier transferred to Clarkston, the defending state champions, from Dakota. He said he wanted to get a better education during his senior year. But the MHSAA said Kithier was motivated by basketball, not academics.

Kithier’s lawyers had hoped to use the lawsuit to change MHSAA policy, saying his constitutional rights had been violated. But in a statement Thursday, Kithier says the lawsuit could go on for years and be a “substantial distraction” for him while he’s at Michigan State.

MSU Head coach Tom Izzo previously called the transfer controversy a “very sad situation.”

© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Cooking Classes In DetroitLearn how to whip up some wonderful dishes while having fun!
5 Bucket List Items To Cross Off In DetroitThe “must-do” items for anyone making a trip to Detroit.
Best Spots For A Quick Lunch In Downtown DetroitThese places will get you in and out.

Watch & Listen LIVE