Michigan’s right-to-work law is set to go into effect in late March and labor unions are heading to federal court in an attempt to block the law.
The vice president will be speaking at a noon rally following Detroit’s annual Labor Day parade which steps off at 9 a.m. from the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.
Karla Swift is the new president of the Michigan AFL-CIO, succeeding Mark Gaffney who led the labor group for 12 years.
Turner was elected president of the Wayne County AFL-CIO in 1968 — and the next year was elected president of the newly formed Metro-Detroit AFL-CIO. He held that post for 20 years before retiring in 1989.
Thousands will join in for a march and rally in Detroit Monday, all part of the Labor Day Parade.
A crowd of thousands gathered in Lansing, Wednesday, for an afternoon rally — with union members leading the charge.
Union members plan to rally against a bill that would end collective bargaining.
Protests are already being planned to oppose Michigan Governor Rick Snyder’s budget plan and plans for emergency financial managers.
Figures released this week by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that Michigan had 627000 union workers in 2010. Which is 11.7 percent fewer than the state had a year earlier.
In these difficult and changing economic times, the AFL CIO is actively trying to recruit new members.
- Detroit Tigers Vs. Baltimore... Spring Storm Whips Through... Ticket Chicks Car Wash 6.16.13 Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota...
- Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota... Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota... Detroit Tigers @ Kansas City... Flash Grenade Demonstration
- Detroit Tigers @ Kansas City... Orion Music Festival - Day Two Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland... Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland...
- Metallica Performs As... Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland... Demolition Of Historic Globe... Detroit Tigers Vs. Tampa Bay...
- The Reunion Project – The Final Countdown (6/7) June 7, 2013
- A Guest’s Guide To Wedding Attire May 23, 2013
- ‘Bridging Michigan’s Workforce Divide’: Talent Matters May 23, 2013
- Career Moves: New Rules For The Job Search May 22, 2013