Fire Chief James Crunk said neighbors heard the man screaming but they weren’t able to reach him in time.
“I heard ‘boom! boom!’ … It sounded like fireworks going off.”
The dog is now ready for a new home after recovering from smoke inhalation.
A fire that started in one home quickly spread to two others along Breast Bay in Monroe County before firefighters were able to tame the blaze.
Hamtramck’s fire chief says the specific cause of a house fire that killed four people last month cannot be determined — but it wasn’t arson.
A Detroit man narrowly escaped his burning home with his life, but without his wife and daughter.
Those taken to the hospital include a 15-year-old who jumped out a second floor window with their 37-year-old father.
Firefighters from a number of departments responded to the home about 60 miles northeast of Detroit.
Fire crews in Detroit had trouble putting out an early morning fire due to frozen equipment on Friday, but were about to extinguish the blaze without any extra equipment.
Make sure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working, and keep an eye on anything that has to do with fire says one insurance agent.