Boaters should be on the lookout for large trees, logs and other debris let loose into Michigan waterways in part by spring flooding, the U.S. Coast Guard has warned.
Federal experts will discuss the causes and potential consequences of low Great Lakes water levels during a Thursday seminar in Ann Arbor that also will be broadcast on the Web.
A ‘boatload of data’ will be collected during the third and final research season of Grand Valley State University’s Michigan Alternative and Renewable Energy Center’s offshore wind assessment.
Officials say some Asian carp probably have found their way into the Great Lakes, but there’s still time to stop the dreaded invaders from becoming established and unraveling food chains that support a $7 billion fishing industry and sensitive ecosystems.
Water levels across most of the Great Lakes are likely to remain well below average for the next six months, posing continued hardships for commercial vessels and tourist towns that cater to recreational boaters.
Gov. Rick Snyder signed legislation earlier this week creating a $21 million program to deepen Michigan harbors that could become impassable to boats as parts of the Great Lakes hover near historically low levels.
Plans are moving forward for a hiking and biking trail from Belle Isle park in Detroit to Ironwood on the Wisconsin boundary in the western Upper Peninsula.
Several varieties of Asian carp have infested the Mississippi River and many of its tributaries.
An ice island that’s formed off Michigan’s northern Lower Peninsula is attracting attention.
The effectiveness of a long-term plan to heal the ailing Great Lakes could be marred by federal spending cuts, which also could make it harder to cope with low water levels that threaten the region’s economy.
- Detroit Tigers Vs. Baltimore... Spring Storm Whips Through... Ticket Chicks Car Wash 6.16.13 Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota...
- Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota... Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota... Detroit Tigers @ Kansas City... Flash Grenade Demonstration
- Detroit Tigers @ Kansas City... Orion Music Festival - Day Two Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland... Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland...
- Metallica Performs As... Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland... Demolition Of Historic Globe... Detroit Tigers Vs. Tampa Bay...
- The Reunion Project – The Final Countdown (6/7) June 7, 2013
- A Guest’s Guide To Wedding Attire May 23, 2013
- ‘Bridging Michigan’s Workforce Divide’: Talent Matters May 23, 2013
- Career Moves: New Rules For The Job Search May 22, 2013