A decision about a third trial will be disclosed in court on Nov. 21.
Joseph Weekley is charged with recklessly using a firearm, a misdemeanor carrying a maximum of two years in prison
Prosecutors have lost an appeal of a decision that throws out the most serious charge in the fatal police shooting of a Detroit girl.
A judge on Friday dismissed the most serious charge against a Detroit police officer who fatally shot a 7-year-old girl during a raid, but the trial also was halted to allow an appeal.
“You killed my grandbaby. You killed her and you tried to blame me,” the sobbing woman told the officer.
Prosecutors say Officer Joseph Weekley’s actions in 2010 were a crime because he handled his submachine gun in a reckless manner.
Opening statements are set for Thursday in Wayne County court after three days of jury selection.
Officer Joseph Weekley’s first trial ended without a verdict in June of last year.
Jury selection starts Monday in Wayne County court, 15 months after Weekley’s first trial ended with a hung jury.
There’s no dispute Joseph Weekley’s gun went off, killing Aiyana Stanley-Jones while she slept on a couch in 2010 — but he says it was an accident.