Woodward Light Rail
The U.S. Department of Transportation has given final clearance to developers of a privately managed Detroit streetcar line.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray Lahood said it’s “a day of celebration for the city.”
Officials later this week are expected to make an announcement about a trainload of federal money heading to Detroit for the Woodward Light Rail project.
Residents along the Woodward Avenue corridor are being asked for their input at a series of hearings starting Monday evening.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he’s ready to start funding a light rail passenger line and fast bus lines in the Detroit area if state and regional officials can finally work together on ending the metro area’s status as the nation’s largest without mass transit.
A proposed passenger rail system running from downtown Detroit to the city’s New Center area won’t get a $25 million grant that supporters were seeking, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.
“It’s official, it’s economical, it’s fast. I mean… what’s the knock on light rail? What’s wrong with it?” Detroit businesswoman Denise Ilitch asked on Charlie Langton’s morning show.
Word is expected to come on Wednesday that plans for a light rail system along Woodward are being scrapped in favor of a rapid-transit bus system.
The head of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation says he supports the idea of extending a light rail system planned for Detroit beyond 8 Mile Road.
After years of talking, is a light rail system on Woodward Avenue in Detroit about to become a reality?
- Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland... Student Construction Science... Detroit Red Wings Vs. Chicago... Ticket Chicks At The Detroit...
- Detroit Tigers @ Texas... Detroit Tigers @ Texas... Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago... Detroit Tigers @ Texas...
- Detroit Tigers @ Texas... Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago... Detroit Tigers Vs. Houston... Detroit Tigers Vs. Houston...
- Detroit Tigers Vs. Houston... Detroit's Robocop Statue... Detroit Red Wings @ Anaheim... Detroit Tigers Vs. Cleveland...
- Car Chronicles Blog – Cars, Kids and Common Sense May 18, 2013
- The Reunion Project – Friday Fun (5/17) May 17, 2013
- Trey Burke Talks Fab Five, Detroit Pistons With Ryan Wooley May 13, 2013
- Leach’s Lists: Three Keys For The Red Wings To Win Game 7 May 11, 2013