By Kim North Shine
There are times when a beat up t-shirt or ratty sweater will do, men. And more often than not, it won’t matter much if you’re wearing colors and styles that are so last year. But then there are the moments that call for breaking out some style know-how.
So whether you’re a guy who prides himself on sporting the latest styles, one who saves them for special occasions or one who’s somewhere in between, consider these fall 2011 fashion essentials – and the our handy list of metro Detroit stores that sell them.
Even a few pieces will bring a wardrobe up to date.
Trusty classics like the Polo are in, but color is the rule.
While colors, especially deep purples and reds, oranges and blues, are in, neutrals are a necessity. Pair pops of color with tans, browns and grays, which is expected to be THE neutral of choice.
1. Give a salute to military. Coats, aviator jackets and boots that convey soldier or aviator.
2. Textured fabrics especially on jackets. Velvet, corduroy, suede and other luxe fabrics
3. Fur details, but in limited, understated amounts on pieces like jackets and boots convey fashion sense without feeling ridiculous.
4. Plaids – Lots of plaids in different sizes and patterns – and also stripes – will abound, and in in vibrant colors.
5. Well-fitted jeans – Goodbye baggies and droopies. No pants on the ground, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground – to borrow a song from xxx. Skinnys, tighter fitting jeans are the way to wear denim.
6. Patterned socks – Have fun, play up a love or a hobby or emphasize an outfit.
You can find these and other looks at your go-to store or any one of these:
908 South Adams
Claymore Shop – CBS Detroit
Nordstrom Rack at Troy Marketplace
822 East Big Beaver Road, Troy
Nordstrom Rack – CBS Detroit
Nordstrom at Somerset Collection
2850 West Big Beaver Road, Troy
Nordstrom – CBS Detroit
Eight locations, including:
2800 West Big Beaver Road, Troy
M-59 (Hall Rd) & Romeo Plank Rd, Clinton Township
27456 Novi Road, Novi
203 Pierce St., Birmingham
244 N Adams Rd, Rochester Hills, MI
At least 15 metro Detroit locations, including:
The Village, Grosse Pointe
16836 KERCHEVAL ST
Laurel Park Place
37604 6 MILE RD
M-59 (Hall Rd) & Romeo Plank Rd
Phone: (586) 286-1082
Eight locations in metro Detroit, including:
18000 Vernier Rd, Harper Woods
18900 Michigan Avenue Dearborn
500 W 14 Mile Road Troy
2801 West Big Beaver Road, Troy
17360 Hall Road, Clinton Township
256 North Adams Road, Rochester Hills
Kim North Shine is a Detroit-area freelance writer who needs to take her husband shopping.