(iStockphoto)

A 6-year-old Macomb County girl burned in a fire pit incident over the weekend has died. The girl was burned over 90-percent of her body. Authorities say she was sitting two feet away from the fire when an accelerant, believed to be gasoline, was thrown on the flames.

READ MORE: Detroit Police Department To Host Drive-Up Candy Stations On Oct. 31 At All Precincts

Sheriff Mark Hackel said Wednesday criminal charges filed against the girl’s father likely will be elevated in light of her death. Investigators will likely recommend a homicide charge.

Forty-year-old Majd Mohammad Al-Shara was arraigned earlier this week on charges of second-degree child abuse.

“It doesn’t have to be intentional. Just the recless act itself causing that injury is enough to substantiate a charge, and it’s a four-year felony. We do believe this was a very reckless act, obviously,” Hackel said.

READ MORE: Metro Detroit Woman Files Lawsuit Against Walmart, Says Discriminated Against By Managers

Defense lawyer Richard Graving says it was an accident, and Al-Shara’s actions weren’t reckless. He says Al-Shara sustained burns from his fingers to his arms while trying to smother the flames on his daughter Sunday in Lenox Township.

Hackle said Al-Shara’s burns were minor and he was released from the hospital the day after the incident.

Al-Shara is being held in the Macomb County jail in lieu of a $10,000 bond.

MORE NEWS: Fourth Stimulus Check: Is Another Relief Payment Coming Soon?

© MMX WWJ Radio, All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to his report.