DETROIT (WWJ) – An iconic Detroit restaurant will once again reopen this month, two decades after shutting its doors.
The historic London Chop House will be run by Nico Gatzaros and his family. He said they’ve decided to reopen the site, which closed due to a lack of patrons, because he believes the city’s coming around.READ MORE: Looking to Travel? Here are the Latest COVID-19 Travel Restrictions State by State
“My dad’s been downtown since 1962 and he’s never lost faith in the city of Detroit and its ability to come back around,” said Gatzaros. “And we really think that this new era coming up in Detroit has got some, you know, some grip. And I think Detroit’s just on the verge of really taking off.”
Gatzaros said the Chop House’s resurrection symbolizes that revival.READ MORE: Michigan Lawmakers raise concerns over reports of National Guard troops being served 'raw, moldy food' at US Capitol
“Detroit has become something to be proud of in a lot of regards now. It always has, but there’s so much opportunity out there,” he said. “I tell people that Detroit really is the land of opportunity.”
Gatzaros said and menu’s better-known specialty items, including Dover sole and the Pancho Burger, will be back.
They’ve spent the last year restoring the restaurant, which first opened in 1938. “We’ve maintained the entire integrity of the dining room. The original bar is there. The original booths are there. The wood paneling is still there,” said Gatzaros.MORE NEWS: Michigan Lottery Results For Tuesday, March 2, 2021
The London Chop House re-opens to the public on February 20.