ANN ARBOR (WWJ) – A high school principal in Ann Arbor is warning parents and students about the dangers of something called the “cinnamon challenge.”
It’s a trend that’s been making the rounds online and involves trying to swallow a teaspoon of cinnamon in less than 60 seconds.
Huron High principal Arthur Williams told WWJ Newsradio 950 at least one teen had to be hospitalized for several days after trying it.
“This is quite surprising because … you know, this is something that’s readily available in just about every home. You know, that something that’s in our everyday lives could be that dangerous,” Williams said.
Williams said kids find it thrilling.
“They do it just for a buzz, you know, a high … get kicks off of it,” he said.
Health professionals say the cinnamon challenge can cause coughing, choking, vomiting and can starve the body of oxygen. It can even cause pneumonia if the spice gets into the lungs.