LINCOLN PARK (WWJ) – A Downriver woman who won a million dollar lottery prize and still accepted food stamps waived her pre-trial hearing Tuesday morning in Lincoln Park District Court.
Amanda Clayton’s attorney John Dakmuk is not saying if a deal is in the works with the state attorney general to keep his client free, but he said restitution has not been ruled out.READ MORE: Cleanup Efforts Continue Following EF-1 Tornado In Clayton Township
“I can’t get into too much of the details of the case but we are looking forward to putting this case before the court and before the public. There’s a lot more to this case than’s been alleged at this point,” Dakmuk told reporters.
“We’re gonna work with all the parties involved and get the best resolution possible,” he said.READ MORE: DPSCD Teacher Calls For Mandatory Vaccines, Rejects Reopening Plan
Dakmuk , 25, won a $1 million jackpot on the game show “Make Me Rich!” and chose a $735,000 lump sum, before taxes, last September.
She is charged with welfare fraud after prosecutors say she failing to inform the state that her income had changed as a result of the lottery prize and a job. The mother of two was removed from the state’s food assistance program after her story became widely publicized in March. She had been receiving about $200 a month in food aid.MORE NEWS: Macomb Co. Executive Mark Hackel Assesses Damage As Clean Up Continues In Armanda After Saturday's Tornado
Clayton did not speak with reporters following the hearing. She remains free on bond, but could still face jail time if the case goes to trial.