ANN ARBOR — The University of Michigan Health System’s Michigan Visiting Nurses and health centers will once again offer flu vaccinations, the most reliable way to ward off the flu this season.
A series of convenient walk-in flu shot clinics is planned throughout southeastern Michigan and vaccinations are offered at competitive prices, says Tracy Newhouse, MVN community wellness manager.
UM Health System patients can begin getting flu shots now by contacting their provider.
“It’s important people receive the vaccination even if they’re not sick or not afraid they’re going to be hospitalized,” says Newhouse. “They could pass the flu to more vulnerable people.”
For individuals who already see a UM physician, nurse midwife or other provider, vaccination can be done during existing or new appointments this fall or at special walk-in clinics for current patients.
Patients should call their UM provider’s office for an appointment, or visit http://www.med.umich.edu/flu for a schedule of flu shot clinics, says Linda McGrath, UMHS immunization coordinator. If patients receive their flu shot elsewhere, they should notify their UM provider so their medical record can be updated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is again recommending that anyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated for the upcoming flu season. Children less than 9 years of age may require two doses this season depending on their immunization history. The CDC also recommends that because children younger than 6 months cannot be vaccinated, their caregivers and entire family should receive the shot.
Vaccination is particularly important for high-risk groups, including children, those 50 and older, pregnant women and anyone with an underlying medical condition that can weaken the immune system. The CDC recommends flu shots be received annually.
At its walk-in clinics, Michigan Visiting Nurses accepts the following insurances, all of which cover the entire cost of the flu shot: Blue Care Network, BCN Advantage, Medicare Plus Blue PPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO, BlueCaid, HAP HMO and PPO, Health Plus HMO/PPO/POS/MIChild, HealthPlus MedicarePlus Advantage HMO/PPO, PHPMM HMO and PPO, Priority Health HMO and PPO, Priority Health Medicare Advantage, Traditional Medicare Part B, and UM Premier Care. Other payment options include cash, check and major credit cards.
The walk-in clinics are open to the public and most clinics are limited to vaccinating those age 9 and older. For an updated listing of flu clinics, call MVN’s flu hotline at (734) 477-7299, or visit http://www.umvn.org.
See a complete list of clinics below:
* Thursday, Sept. 13, 2 to 5 p.m. at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church (room 409, Chapel) at 9455 Hilton Road, Brighton
* Tuesday, Sept. 18 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Ypsilanti Senior Center, 1015 N. Congress, Ypsilanti
* Friday, Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Northfield Township Senior Center, 9101 Main St., Whitmore Lake
* Saturday, Sept. 22 from 9 a.m. to noon at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor
* Sunday, Sept. 23 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Saline Recreation Center, at 1866 Woodland Drive, Saline
* Monday, Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. at the Dexter Senior Center, 7720 Ann Arbor St., Dexter
* Thursday, Sept. 27 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Duderstadt Center Connector Hall, 2281 Bonisteel, Ann Arbor
* Friday, Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Hamburg Senior Center, 10407 Merrill Road, Hamburg
* Saturday, Sept. 19 from 9 a.m. to noon at MedEquip, at 2705 S. Industrial Ann Arbor
* Sunday, Sept. 30 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the St. Joseph Shrine, 8743 US-12, Brooklyn
* Tuesday, Sept. 2 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the St. Francis School and Parish, 2270 E. Stadium, Ann Arbor
* Wednesday, Oct. 3 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Turner Senior Resource Center, 2401 Plymouth Road, Suite C, Ann Arbor
* Friday, Oct. 5 from 10 a.m. to noonk at the Howell Recreation Center, Parks and Rec Building, 925 W. Grand River, Howell
* Saturday, Oct. 6 from 9 a.m. to noon at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor
* Sunday, Oct. 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Belleville First United Methodist Church, 417 Charles St., Belleville
* Monday, Oct. 8 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Adrian Senior Center, 327 Erie St., Adrian
* Monday, Oct. 8 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Tecumseh Senior Center, 703 E. Chicago Boulevard, Tecumseh
* Friday, Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Saline Senior Center, 7190 N. Maple Road, Saline
* Saturday, Oct. 13 and Sunday, Oct. 14 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days at Wiard’s Orchard Community Awareness Weekend, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti
* Sunday, Oct. 14 from 9 a.m. to noon at Trinity Episcopal Church, 11575 Belleville Road, Belleville
* Monday, Oct. 15 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Fowlerville Senior Center, 203 N. Collins St., Fowlerville
* Wednesday, Oct. 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Ann Arbor YMCA, 400 W. Washington, Ann Arbor
* Sunday, Oct. 21 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Dexter United Methodist Church, 7643 Huron River Drive, Dexter
* Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church, 1501 W. Liberty, Ann Arbor
* Saturday, Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to noon at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor
* Saturday, Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to noon at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor
More at www.med.umich.edu/flu.