ALLEN PARK (WWJ) – Some Downriver gym members went without a workout Saturday as the LA Fitness in Allen Park was closed for several hours due to a possible hazmat situation.
Fire sergeant Michael Shook says the hazmat team was called to the scene because of a strong irritating odor coming from one of the locker rooms.
“It was an ammonia smell – seemed to be a housekeeping error where they mixed bleach and ammonia and poured it down a common sewer and it happened to rise up making it an irritating smell, it can be toxic at high levels,” said Shook. ” But the hazmat team cleared the room, ventilated and flushed all the drains.”
The evacuation lasted a couple of hours.