SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WWJ) – An Indiana family is swearing off green beans after they found a frog in a can they bought from Meijer, a Michigan-based grocery store.

Gloria Chubb said it all started out as just another day in the kitchen a few weeks ago. She made meat loaf and mashed potatoes, and then heated up a can of green beans for her family in South Bend, which is located just south of the Michigan-Indiana state line.

“I cooked them in the microwave with butter and salt and pepper, put them on the table and my son put some on his dish and said ‘What is this?’ I looked and put it in my hand and said ‘Oh my God, it’s a little frog,'” she said.

Chubb said her whole family turned a little green over the whole incident.

“Needless to say, everybody dumped theirs out and I was nauseated for three days. I still can’t eat green beans,” she said.

Chubb told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Beth Fisher that she has a theory on how the little amphibian may have ended up in the can.

“I’m sure it’s like cans on the line, you know. Maybe a frog jumped in. I don’t know why it would be in there in the first place, but anyway, then the green beans went in the cans through the line, I’m sure,” she said.

Chubb turned the can over to the health department and got a refund for other cans of green beans she bought at Meijer. The canning company in Wisconsin sent her an apology letter and $50, but Chubb said her family still can’t stomach the vegetables.

“We love green beans. We ate a lot of green beans, in casseroles, soups, on the side,” she said. “But I’m not going to eat green beans anymore. I tried to buy frozen green beans at the store the other day and before I left the store, I put them back. Nobody will eat them here.”

Meijer, whose corporate headquarters is located in Grand Rapids, is reportedly investigating the incident.

Comments (3)
  1. screenshot says:

    Reblogged this on Screenshots News and commented:
    Oh my. I’m glad I grow my own green beans.