WARREN (WWJ) — Macomb Community College has added several new technology-related programs for the 2013-14 school year. Here are the details:
* There’s a revamped entrepreneurship program with two different tracks: One path is for those who want to own or work in a business that emphasizes continual innovation, and a second that is tailored for students who plan to start a small business. A certificate and an associate degree are available for both tracks.READ MORE: Man Charged, Accused Of Attempting To Kidnap His Ex-Wife In Van Buren Township
* There’s a new certificate program in database programming that prepares information technology students for entry-level positions as programmers.
* There’s a new Intro to Mobile Development class, a software development class that focuses on building applications for the Android operating system.
* There’s a new electric vehicle development technology certificate. Piloted last year, this new certificate prepares individuals for careers in the automotive sector, including development technician, electrical test technician and manufacturing technician, as well as in the communications, solar, wind turbine and smart grid industries. The certificate can be applied toward completing an associate of applied science degree in manufacturing technology at Macomb, and the associate degree transfers toward a bachelor of science in electrical transportation technology at Wayne State University.READ MORE: MSP: Suspect Found Driving With Gun, Drugs & No License
* Also, 240 juniors from 28 Macomb County high schools are starting Macomb Early College. These new students are joining 260 others who are in their second and third year of the program. Sponsored by the Macomb Intermediate School District and participating Macomb County school districts, the program provides the opportunity for students to follow an integrated sequence of high school and college courses through a “13th year.” In addition to earning their high school diploma, students will have completed 62 to 72 college credits, qualifying them for a skill certificate, an associate degree, or both.
* Design Your Future & Development Academy: This new option, offered through Early College of Macomb, provides the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and 65+ college credits that can be applied directly to an associate of science degree in product development technology.
* Northern Michigan University joins the Macomb University Center: Offering a bachelor- degree completion program in loss prevention management, Northern joins 10 other partners at the college’s University Center, which provides more than 4,000 students the opportunity to pursue advanced degrees at college’s Center Campus in Clinton Township.MORE NEWS: Flat Rock Man Charged In Fatal Shooting Of 17-Year-Old In Huron Township
Macomb Community College (www.macomb.edu) serves 48,000 students annually, ranking in the top 2 percent in the number of associate degrees awarded by community colleges and as the largest grantor of associate degrees in Michigan. The college’s comprehensive educational programming includes pre-college experiences, university transfer and career preparation programs, bachelor degree completion and graduate degree programs, workforce training, professional education and certification, and continuing education and enrichment opportunities.