By Dennis Walikainen
HOUGHTON — With 264 companies registered for Michigan Technological University’s Fall Career Fair on Tuesday, Sept. 24, recruiters run the gamut from new to returning to never-miss-a-fair.READ MORE: Over 40k Cera Applications Filed In Detroit, Landlords Left Waiting For Payment
Among the new companies, according to Jim Turnquist, director of Career Services, is Chevron. Although they have recruited and hired on their own on campus, this year they’ve joined the Career Fair and expanded their search.
“In the past, they focused on geology, but this year they are looking for many different engineering fields: chemical, civil, electrical, environmental, mechanical,” Turnquist said. “That’s a big plus.”
Back after a hiatus from recruiting is Procter and Gamble. They are scouting for chemical, electrical and mechanical engineers.READ MORE: Detroit Police: Amazon Driver Confesses To Lying About Carjacking
“This is fantastic,” Turnquist said.
A new company to the fair is Tata Motors, India’s largest auto manufacturer.
“They have an IT branch, called Consultancy Services, which is also huge,” Turnquist said.
Old favorites like Dow Chemical have increased their presence. Instead of a couple of interview rooms, they’ve reserved eight for the day after the fair.MORE NEWS: Oakland University Mistakenly Awards Scholarships To More Than 5,000 Students
Turnquist said the Career Fair has grown into a week-plus of activities in both the fall and spring semesters. Interview skills training and resume blitzes have already started, and fair week has numerous events:
* Chrysler and GM both have ride and drive events planned. Chrysler’s Sunday Copper Harbor trips are filled. GM’s ride and drives target both faculty/staff and students.
* The Society of Women Engineers is hosting an Evening with Industry, where recruiters can meet with students before the fair. It is scheduled for 5:15 p.m., Monday, Sept. 23 in the Memorial Union Ballroom.
* More than 40 company information sessions are scheduled for Monday evening. “And these companies are looking for people,” Turnquist said. “They are looking to hire.”
* The University Department Information Fair (Meet the Faculty) will be held from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday at the fair. Academic and administrative departments can meet with company representatives.
* Center for Diversity and Inclusion Corporate Reception: Corporations can meet with students from organizations such as the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (oSTEM), American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), and more. The event is scheduled for 6 to 7:45 p.m. at the Hamar House Tuesday, Sept. 24.
* Railroad Information Night is 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24 in the Douglass Houghton Hall Ballroom. The Railroad Engineering and Activity Club and Tech’s Rail Transportation Program bring together students and railroad industry representatives.