DETROIT (WWJ) – A two-alarm fire in a senior high-rise apartment building sent dozens of residents out of the building, wondering where they will spend the night.
The fire was confined to the 18th floor of Regency Tower on Chene, between Gratiot and Jefferson, on Detroit’s east side Tuesday night.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Theaters & Politics
Officials say two elderly residents were taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Other residents were evacuated from the building as crews responded.
Fire Captain Frank Maiorana told WWJ the fire was apparently an accident. He said a resident fell asleep while food was cooking on the stove.READ MORE: CDC: New Listeria Outbreak Tied To 23 Illnesses, 1 Death
Maiorana said the building’s maintenance man was able to force the apartment’s door open and pull the unconscious woman to safety.
The American Red Cross is offering assistance to as many as 100 displaced residents.MORE NEWS: Red Wings Hire Lightning Assistant Derek Lalonde As Coach