By Edward Cardenas
SOUTHFIELD (CBS Detroit) – Weeks of the rumors, guessing and wishing came to an end Tuesday as Apple unveiled two versions of the iPhone 6 and the Apple Watch.READ MORE: Ribs RnB Music Festival Kicks Off This Weekend In Downtown Detroit
The nearly two-hour event hosted by CEO Tim Cook and other Apple officials had its high points with release of the new, larger iPhones; unveiling of the Apple Pay mobile payment feature; the introduction of the Apple Watch and free download of U2’s new album to all iTune subscribers.
But it also had a fair share of glitches with nearly the first half of the event streamed by Apple encountered freezing, buffering and the voice of a translator following the presenters.
iPhone 6 facts from the live stream, and CNET:
- There will be two sizes for the phone with the iPhone 6 at 4.7- and iPhone 6 Plus which is 5.5-inch screens. These are larger than the current 4-inch screens. The phones will also be thinner than the current iPhone 5.
- Prices start at $199 for the 16GB iPhone6, and $399 for a 128GB version. The iPhone 6 Plus ranges from $299 for the 16 GB to $499 for 128GB.
- Both models have increased screen resolution, and enhanced features when the phones are in horizontal mode.
- The glass curves around the edges of the phone.
- The camera and video features with enhanced blink and smile detection, image stabilization, and slow motion feature.
- A faster A8 processor.
- Longer battery life.
- Consumers can start ordering the phones Friday, and they will ship Sept. 19.
- The Apple Pay mobile pay feature allows the iPhone to be used like a credit card.
- With a simple touch, consumers can pay for purchases at retailers including Macy’s, Walgreen’s, McDonald’s (in the restaurant and via the drive-thru). Web retailers including Groupon, Uber and Major League Baseball will accept Apple Pay.
- Apple does not collect data from where consumers shop, and each transaction uses a one-time payment number. The Find My iPhone feature can be used to suspend payments from the device.
- Apple Pay will be available on iPhone 6 and Apple Watch.
- The long-rumored Apple wearable was confirmed during the event.
- The square-Apple Watch comes in two sizes, and three different collections with the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport and 18K gold Apple Watch.
- The Apple Watch requires an iPhone to operate.
- There are health apps on the Watch which can monitor everything from pulse to the intensity of workouts.
- It also can differentiate between a touch and tap on the face of the Watch to swipe between functions, but also utilizes the dial – or crown – on the side of the watch to navigate.
- Messages can be sent by voice, popular responses, drawings made on the Watch and animated emojis.
- Other apps include a check-in option for American Airlines; a W Hotels app which allows users to unlock their doors; Major League Baseball scores and a parking app to help direct car owners back to their vehicles.
- It will start at $349, and will be available in early 2015.
In addition to releasing new phones and watch, Apple announced the release of iOS 8 operating system on Sept. 17 and all iTunes subscribers can download the new U2 album for free.MORE NEWS: MDHHS Lifts No-Contact Recommendation In Huron River Chemical Spill
Cook has been CEO of Apple since Aug. 2011, and made the announcement at a historic location for the company. Steve Jobs unveiled the Macintosh computer in 1984 at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in .