BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP (WWJ) — After residents feared that a potentially dangerous gas leak had sprung up nearby, a Consumers Energy representative said that there is no need to worry about a leak.

A safety valve in a natural gas pipeline opened because too much pressure had built up inside. While the scent of gas filled the air, a Consumers Energy representative told WWJ Newsradio 950, there was no immediate danger to those in the area of Middlebelt and Long Lake.

Crews are on the scene repairing the safety valve.

[Stay with CBSDetroit.com and LISTEN LIVE to WWJ Newsradio 950 for the latest updates]